In Mexico, everyone loves Hibiscus sabdariffa, better known as hibiscus. Its intense red color, lightly bitter flavor and its refreshing taste make it one of the most popular beverages in Mexico although in recent years, it's been used in salads and other savory dishes.
Ernesto Días López, a Doctor in Agro-livestock Sciences and Environmental Resources and a professor at the Tehuacán de Puebla Technological University, has studied the hibiscus flower for years and now he shares its properties and benefits.
1. The hibiscus flower comes from Ethiopia and since it is harvested in arid places, it can easily grow in places such as the coast of Guerrero and Oaxaca and it can even grow in the wild.
2. One of its main properties is that it is a diuretic, that means it makes you urinate more, which cleanses your liver and kidneys. Nevertheless, people who suffer from kidney failure or gastritis should moderate their consumption of the flower, since it can alter acidity in their organism.
3. The urine increase causes the elimination of toxins from your organism, therefore, it helps to lose weight. It also cleanses the organism internally.
4. It helps to lower glucose levels in blood in diabetic patients.
5. It is recommended to drink the juice a maximum of three times, without boiling it, otherwise, it will lose its properties.
6. It has medicinal benefits. For example, it helps to alleviate insomnia and diseases linked to skin irritation.
7. It contains vitamins A, C, B1, and E, as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, and phosphorus, which help to maintain healthy bones and teeth.
8. Hibiscus can act as a dewormer, as it has antiparasitic benefits.
9. It helps to reduce high blood pressure because it suppresses the angiotensin-converting enzyme, which stimulates diuretic action.
10. It also assists to reduce harmful cholesterol and triglycerides. Its consumption prevents cholesterol from clustering and forming atheromatous plaques, which can obstruct arteries.
Drinking hibiscus water or tea often has beneficial effects on your health, as well as being a delicious and refreshing beverage. So if you enjoy it, now you have more reasons to enjoy it!
The students extract a pigment from the hibiscus flower, that helps to regenerate and heal the skin.