It’s no secret that not everything we see in movies is real. Filmmakers don’t spend millions on production sets for nothing. In fact, most of the jaw-dropping scenes in popular movies were constructed to create the illusion of a real or imagined place.
However, the world is so diverse that some almost identical places exist in real life. Here are 15 real-life places that look a lot like stunning scenes from movies.
1. The Tree-Of-Souls, Avatar & Wisteria tree at Ashikaga Flower Park, Ashikaga, Japan
2. Thanos’ resting spot and the final scene, Avengers: Infinity War & Banaue Rice Terraces in the Philippines
3. Bioluminescent pond, Avatar & Bioluminescent Lagoon in Falmouth, Jamaica
4. The Great Realm of Dwarrowdelf, The Lord of the Rings & Basilica Cistern in Turkey
5. Mesa, Up & Tepuy Roraima in Venezuela
6. The Great Hall of Hogwarts, Harry Potter & The Great Hall of the Christ Church College, Oxford University
7. Pandora nights, Avatar & the Waitomo Glowworm Caves in New Zealand
8. Mann’s ice planet, Interstellar & Snæfellsjökull glacier in Iceland
9. King’s Landing, Game of Thrones & the city of Dubrovnik in Croatia
10. Rivendell, The Lord of the Rings & Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland
11. Eastern Air Temple, Avatar: The Last Airbender & temples on Mount Fanjing in Tongren, China
12. Paradise Falls, Up & Angel Falls in Venezuela
13. Doors of Durin (Moria), The Lord of the Rings & St. Edward’s Church’s door flanked by 2 old trees in England
14. Bath House, Spirited Away & Rekishi-no-Yado Kanaguya, Nagano, Japan
15. Floating Mountains, Avatar & Hallelujah Mountains in Zhangjiajie Park, China
Shakespeare once wrote that all the world’s a stage, but these days it’s more like a movie set. In this day and age, incredible computer technology and green screens can create entire worlds inside a film studio. But nothing beats the awe that cinemagoers feel when watching a movie filmed in an incredible location, whether its scenic landscapes, cool cities, or surreal historical sites.