I’m a sucker for cookies coated in powdered sugar. It adds the best texture and tastes so amazing! This recipe is a favorite, as well as chocolate crinkle cookies, red velvet gooey butter cookies and pistachio cherry meltaways.
When it comes to classic Christmas cookies, these Mexican wedding cookies are at the top of the list. They’re the perfect bite size cookie and will literally melt in your mouth. Seriously so delicious!
I love that they’re dusted with powdered sugar, resembling mini snowballs. This festive look makes them a great addition to your holiday goodie plates. Everyone always goes crazy over them!
What do you call these cookies?
I polled you guys to see what you call them and I was shocked at how many different variations there were. Here were some of the other names. I’m curious…what do you call them?
- Italian wedding cookies
- Snowball cookies
- Russian tea cakes
- Pecan balls
How to make mexican wedding cookies
Step 1: Mix butter and powdered sugar
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Then mix in 3/4 cup powdered sugar and beat until creamy and smooth. Stir in the vanilla and scrape the sides down.
Step 2: Add flour and pecans
Mix in the flour on low speed until just combined. Then mix in the chopped pecans until combined.
Step 3: Roll and bake
Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough into balls. Then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are a light brown color. Then let cool on pan for about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Roll in powdered sugar
Place remaining powdered sugar in a bowl. Then roll the warm cookies into the powdered sugar and place on a rack to cool completely. Once cooled, roll again or use a sifter to coat the cookies in the remainder of powdered sugar.
- You don’t want the butter to be too soft or else your cookies will spread. I let mine sit out for about 10 minutes prior to beating.
- Use a small cookie scoop (or a Tablespoon) to scoop out the dough. Each cookie sheet will fit about 24 cookies.
- Make sure to roll the cookies in the powdered sugar while they are still warm. The sugar will melt and that’s perfectly okay. That’s why dipping a second time is important.
- Sift the powdered sugar if it begins to become clumpy.
Storing + Freezing
Room temperature: Store in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Place in a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More Christmas cookies:
Mexican Wedding Cookie Recipe
These Mexican wedding cookies are so simple and take only 5 ingredients to make! The perfect bite-sized cookie recipe that will literally melt in your mouth.
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole pecans , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute. You don't want the butter to be too soft. I usually just set it out for 10 minutes beforehand. Then mix in 3/4 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Then mix in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed just until combined. Then add the chopped pecans and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough using a small cookie scoop or Tablespoon and roll into balls. You can fit 24 per sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly brown. Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a bowl. Then roll the cookies while they are still warm into the powdered sugar. Then place on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, roll again or use a sifter to sift the remainder of the powdered sugar over top.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.
This recipe makes about 40 cookies, will vary depending on size they are rolled.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 17mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 143IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 1mg