We all cringe at the sight of a mosquito.
Are you sick of these pests flying around and bugging you as you try to enjoy a barbecue or a simple day outside?
What exactly makes mosquitoes want to leech blood off us? Believe it or not, humans exude an odor that is very attractive to mosquitoes when they sweat. So, technically the person who actively sweats.
Luckily, there are scents mosquitoes cannot tolerate, making them want to flee and stay away from your backyard and you and your family. There are plants that emit strong scents that will repel the suckers.
Each of them are enhanced when herbs are planted around the yard. You could even crush the leaves over your skin, that way the smell is seeped into your pores to prevent mosquitoes from biting you.
- Lemon Balm - A member of the mint family, Lemon balm has a powerful odor. It is great to use to ward off the bloodsuckers! However, be warned that this is an invasive species.
- Catnip - Catnip has nepetalactone, which is effective in warding them off while attracting cats!
- Basil - Mosquito larvae is extremely sensitive to basil and will definitely be warded off with great success.
- Lavender - Lavender is a lovely scent favored by many. Insects, however, have no tolerance for the smell of this plant. It works to keep mosquitoes, moths and flies from your yard. You can apply lavender to your skin to provide yourself protection.
- Peppermint - Peppermint is a popular insect repellant thats used commonly, and when used in oil form, it is lethal against many invasive insect species.
- Citrosum - This plant is sold as a mosquito plant. Literally. There is doubt over Citrosums ability to ward them off, as there are other plants on the list that are tougher on pesky insects.
- Rosemary & Sage - These two work together like yin-yang when mixed with each other. They are perfect for outdoor events like a bonfire, campfire or cookout. Stay close to the smoke to have the most effect. Also, the smell is pleasant to the nostrils!
Hope these tips will give you a head start in protecting yourself from mosquitoes.
Do not forget to crush plants against your skin for the highest benefit. That will keep the mosquitoes away from you and your lovely garden.