Swap a dull lunchtime sandwich for this healthy and delicious take on a classic – pesto scrambled eggs.
Pesto scrambled eggs are about to become your go-to speed meal. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut with your lunches – especially if you’ve been working from home recently and aren’t in the habit of making something for yourself. But whether it’s for a week day or the weekend, you don’t want a lunch that’s going to take ages to prepare when you have plenty of other things to be getting on with. On the other hand, a dish that’s healthy and delicious is a must.
And so we bring you a recipe we’ve found that ticks all the boxes. It takes just 15 minutes to make, is full of flavour, and it’s good for you, containing iron-rich spinach and vitamin and mineral-packed avocados, as well as nutritious eggs. Oh, and it serves two, so you can keep someone else as well fed as you.
We’re huge fans of scrambled eggs and you can check out our guide to how to make scrambled eggs, but how do you make them as part of this tasty lunchtime treat? You’ll find the recipe below, and we have a whole lot more ideas to inspire meals and treats on our food hub, too.
Pesto scrambled egg with avocado and spinach
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon
- 4 large eggs
- 20ml single cream
- 1tsp Specially Selected pesto
- 25g Greenvale salted butter, plus extra for spreading
- 2 Village Bakery bagels
- 24g fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and black pepper
1. Halve the avocado lengthways, and take out the stone. Scoop out the flesh in one piece, and slice into thick pieces. Squeeze the juice from the lemon on to the slices to stop them discolouring.
2. Add the eggs, cream and pesto to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and whisk the mixture together.
3. Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring gently, until set but still soft.
4. Slice the bagels in half and toast, then butter each half lightly.
5. Top the bagel halves with the spinach leaves, then add avocado slices to each. Put the scrambled egg mixture on top and serve immediately.