Recently my friend made this Southwest Mac & Cheese and invited my family over to have dinner. I have to tell you that after eating this, I had to make this myself. It is cheesy, has the southwest flavors, and of course bacon. I love my bacon. Putting bacon and cheese together makes a perfect dish, no matter what it may be.
Cooking this in a cast iron skillet makes it all the better. The seasoning of the cast iron seems to bring out the flavors. Doesn’t this dish look delicious? I think so! We made this and had a few other fixing’s to go along with this dish.
This Southwest Mac & Cheese is all homemade. This is not just a box of Mac and Cheese with other ingredients added. Each ingredient is added with macaroni noodles. I really think that you will enjoy this dish if you like Mac & Cheese. Especially homemade Mac & Cheese.
Have you made a homemade Mac & Cheese Dish of your own before? My mom is passed away now, but when she was here with us she would always make the best Mac & Cheese dish. This Southwest Mac & Cheese is second best to my moms. Of course, I am partial. Moms always make the best food right? Anyhow, I hope that you will try this amazing Mac & Cheese dish because it is creamy and delicious.
Give this Southwest Mac & Cheese recipe a try. Once you do, you will find yourself making this more times than not. Family and friends will be requesting that you make this for them or for Holiday get-togethers. The easy recipe below is provided four your convenience. All the seasonings and flavors will be throughout this dish. I hope that you will enjoy this dish as much as my family and friends do.
Cheesy Southwest Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/2 C
- 1 ½ C whole milk
- 4 tsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ C unsalted butter
- 1 C goat`milk cheese
- 1 C gruyere
- ½ medium red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 TBSP Southwest seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the milk, butter, seasoning and flour to a pot on medium-high.
- Stir often until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the cheese, whisking until blended.
- Slowly add in the crumbled bacon mixing until combined.
- Add the chopped peppers to the cooked macaroni, stir to mix well.
- Stir in the cheese and bacon mixture to the macaroni.
- Spray the cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Add the macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes/until the top is slightly browned.